Out of State Hearings - FAQ

I now live out of state. Can I apply to Reinstate my Driver License Privileges?

Yes, even if you now live outside the State of Illinois, in most cases you can apply to have your driving privileges reinstated, allowing you to apply for a license in your new State of residence. Our firm has helped out of State residents restore their driving privileges for years. Contact our office for a free consultation to discuss your specific background and driving history.

How do I restore my driving privileges as an out of state resident

There are only two ways to restore your driving privileges: an in person hearing or completing a mail in out-of-state packet. Contact our office to discuss your case and we will advise on your best course of action.

If I complete the out-of-state packet, what does it entail?

An out-of-state packet will allow you to avoid coming to Illinois, but that doesn't make it any easier than an in person hearing. You will be held to the same standards and evidence rules as you would in an in person formal hearing. The same documents and proof of treatment will always be required. We recommend you contact our office to discuss your case as it is strongly recommended that you hire an attorney to help you with the process.

Is an out-of-state packet or in person hearing required?

Yes. If Illinois has a hold on your license, the only way to clear that hold will be through an in person hearing or completing the out-of-state packet. This is the case even if you never intend to drive in the State of Illinois again. Due to the fact that all states communicate with each other now, Illinois has placed a hold in driver license database system that will prevent you from obtaining a license in your home state. Thus the requirement for the out-of-state packet or in person hearing.

I've been denied multiple times or I can't get an answer back from Illinois on the out-of-state packet. Can I reapply?

Yes. Unfortunately a lot of our clients come to our office after they have been denied multiple times and/or Illinois won't give an answer on the out-of-state packet they submitted (The state always is looking for "more" documentation). The State of Illinois will typically give you the run around. Hiring an attorney to cut through all the bureaucracy really makes the difference.

My DUI is really old

Unfortunately the age of your DUI makes no difference with the State of Illinois. In a lot of cases, our clients have been driving in their home state for years and only recently did the old DUI pop up on their out of state record. This can cause the cancellation of your license in your home state or prevent you from renewing your license. We will need to remove the hold in Illinois to get you driving again.

How do I obtain treatment documents

You will need to show the State of Illinois that you did in fact complete your treatment. You should never have to "re-do" treatment. And there are some instances where evaluators can waive treatment but that is on a case by case analysis. Our firm can work with an out-of-state evaluator or we can put you in touch with one of our evaluators in Illinois to assist with this process. Once we review your case we can advise the best course of action.

Should I hire an Attorney

The process to restore your driving privileges can be difficult. This is demonstrated by the fact that a lot of our clients come to our office after they have been issued a denial or multiple denials. Unfortunately it seems that this process has been set up to prevent you from getting your driving privileges. It shouldn't be that way. When you hire this firm, we cut down all the bureaucracy to simple tasks that need to be completed to get you driving again. We've been doing this for over 10 years.

Am I eligible for a hardship license through Illinois

No, as a general rule. You must be an Illinois resident to apply for a hardship license or have an out-of-state license with a need to driving in Illinois.

My home state will give me a license, but they say Illinois is preventing that. Why?

There is no negotiating with Illinois on this matter. Illinois law clearly states that if you are DUI revoked in this State, even if your DUI was out-of-state and was only reported back to Illinois, you must go through the reinstatement process.

Can I move back to Illinois and get an Illinois license after completing the mail in packet?

If you move back to the State of Illinois within 3 years of being granted reinstatement after completing the out-of-state-packet, Illinois will require you to attend an in person hearing to obtain an Illinois license. If you are a multiple DUI offender with 4 DUI convictions, you will be required to go through the hearing process and will only be able to obtain a restricted driving permit with a BAIID device installed in your car.

Lifetime Revocations

If you have a lifetime revocation, you can apply to clear your driving privileges after 10 years from the date of your last order of revocation entered on your driving record.